2006 - Officer-involved Shootings
In 2006 there were 37 officer-involved shootings, resulting in 13 civilians killed and 24 wounded. Three teenagers (14, 15 and 16) were wounded, and a 26-yr. old woman was killed after she stole some beer. All of the officers were no-billed. Statistics for each agency are as follows:
Law Enforcement Agency Killed Wounded Houston PD 9 14 Sheriff's deputies 2 5 Jacinto City PD officer 1 0 Baytown PD officer 1 0 Pasadena PD officers 0 3 Drug Task Force officers 0 1 Tomball PD 0 1
Officers killed in 2006
37. 12/26/06 - I. Hernandez, h/m, killed when shot by Jacinto City PD officer J. Aguilar. (No details available at this time) Hernandez is the 13th person known to have been shot to death this year by a Harris County police officer.
36. 12/15/06 - James Edward Smith, b/m, 51, shot to death by Houston PD Sgt. K.D. Anthony (5-yr. veteran) and officer W.E. Reiser (11-yr. veteran). They had responded to a call from an off-duty officer working security, who said he checked on a disturbance in an apartment and was told not to come in or he would be killed. When Anthony and Reiser arrived, they claim they heard a woman begging the man not to stab her. The officers went inside and say they found the man standing with a knife poised over the woman's head. They claim the man then charged at them, and both Anthony and Reiser fired, striking him in the chest and abdomen. Smith is the 12th person known to have been shot to death this year by Harris County police officers.
35. 10/24/06 - Unidentified and unarmed 14-yr. old boy, shot by Houston PD undercover officer J. Rincones, conducting an afternoon auto-theft sting. During their negotiations, six men attacked Rincones (a 13-yr. veteran), and he fired two shots, hitting the boy in the leg. It is not known if the boy was one of those that attacked the officer, or just a resident of the apartment complex. This boy is the 23rd person known to have been wounded this year when shot by a Harris County police officer.
34. 10/23/06 - Mohammad Rafi, 27, shot and killed by Houston PD SWAT officer Patrick J. Straker. Rafi violated a restraining order and entered the back door of his estranged wife's employer, where he stabbed her to death. Straker shot Rafi after about two hours, when he allegedly pointed a weapon at officers from inside the store. He is the 11th person known to have been shot to death this year by a Harris County police officer. (media reports)
See also: (Straker media reports)
07/31/07 - Straker kills Reginald Lee Sumbler;
09/02/03 - Straker kills Mary J. Beasley;
08/13/01 - Straker kills McLoren Anthony Jones; and
06/10/99 - Straker kills Demetrio Martine Hernandez.
33. 10/23/06 - R. Taylor, shot and killed by off-duty Houston PD officer Richard Kennedy (7-yr. veteran), who saw a parked car with an open door while patroling a neighborhood. When he stopped to investigate, the door was closed and Taylor was standing near the car. He fled when Kennedy approached him, and hid in the backyard of a nearby residence. Kennedy claims that when he found him, Taylor turned around with a knife in each hand, refused to drop them, and "charged" at him. Kennedy shot him in the chest, killing him. Taylor is the 10th person known to have been shot to death this year by a Harris County police officer.
32. 9/24/06 - C. Houx, wounded when shot by Harris County sheriff's deputy D. Doquim. Details not yet released by HCSO. Houx is the 22nd person known to have been wounded this year when shot by a Harris County police officer.
31. 9/7/06 - Bradford Lee Hearn, wounded when shot by off-duty Harris County Sheriff's deputy C. Collier, working security at a club. Collier suspected Heard of breaking into vehicles in the parking lot. After confronting him, Collier claims Heard got in his pickup and drove toward him, and he fired two shots into the vehicle, hitting Heard in the arm. Heard is the 21st person known to have been wounded this year when shot by a Harris County police officer.
29. & 30. 8/24/06 - C. Lewis and Y. Gonzales, wounded when shot in the neck and back, respectively, by Harris County undercover sheriff's deputies K. Willis, M. Nations and R. Martinez. The deputies had allegedly bought cocaine from the two men, and claim they saw a gun in their car. They also claim the men tried to run over them as they began to drive away, and the deputies fired at least 12 times at their fleeing vehicle, hitting both men. Their car then crashed into a parked patrol car. The two deputies claim minor injuries from being struck by the fleeing vehicle, and another claims minor injuries when his patrol car was struck by the victims' out-of-control car. The two victims are in critical condition. Lewis and Gonzales are the 19th and 20th persons known to have been wounded this year when shot by Harris County police officers.
28. 8/23/06 - Unidentified man, known as Gordo, shot twice in "center mass" by Houston PD officer Daniel W. Starr (Northwest Patrol Div., 21-yr. veteran). A security guard saw two men with guns at an apartment complex, and called police. When Starr found one of the men hiding in some bushes, he ordered him out. The man then shot at Starr, who returned fire, striking him multiple times; his condition is unknown. Starr was struck twice in the chest but, despite the August heat, was wearing his bulletproof vest, which deflected two bullets, probably saving his life. He was not injured. "Gordo" is the 18th person known to have been wounded this year when shot by a Harris County police officer.
27. 8/8/06 - Unidentified 15-yr. old boy, wounded when shot by undercover Houston PD officer G. McDonald, who was conducting a prostitution sting with another officer. The officers claim the boy shot at them as they were arresting a suspected prostitute, and ran when they shot at him. He was found a short distance away with a gunshot wound in the abdomen. The boy is the 17th person known to have been wounded this year when shot by Harris County police officers.
26. 8/4/06 - Allan Fernando Alvarez, h/m, 24, wounded when shot in the face by Houston PD Sgt. R. Garza (22-yr. veteran, Eastside Patrol Div.) Officers were searching for Alvarez and a companion after they had just robbed a business. When Garza raised the lid on a garbage can, he claims Alvarez, who was unarmed, "popped out of the can in a threatening manner," and he shot him. Alvarez is the 16th person known to have been wounded this year when shot by a Harris County police officer.
25. 8/1/06 - Steven Ferrel, w/m, 37, wounded when shot at least twice by Houston PD SWAT officers A. Orozco, Anthony R. Pisaro, 41, and S.J. Hamala. Ferrel was suspected of a robbery and told a dispatch operator that he would shoot himself if the police came into his motel room. A female that was in the room with him was released unharmed; police claim she was a hostage. Police say Ferrel came out of the room "waving" a shotgun and a pistol, then began to point them at the officers when they shot him. Ferrel is the 15th person known to have been wounded this year when shot by Harris County police officers. (media reports)
See also: (Pisaro media reports)
3/23/13 - S.J. Hamala and T. Warren wounds N. Thibodeaux;
11/4/12 - S.J. Hamala kills Brandon Obermiller;
03/27/10 - Pisaro and Hamala shoot Rosalio Ledesma;
05/24/08 - S.J. Hamala shoots Dora Sublett;
08/01/06 - S.J. Hamala shoots Steven Ferel.
08/01/01 - Pisaro kills Haywood Louis Ogburn, 32;
03/12/01 - Pisaro wounds John Jones Jr.;
08/07/98 - Pisaro shoots fellow officer Richard Pedraza;
01/01/93 - Pisaro shoots and kills Amos Perry, age 15; and
12/20/91 - Pisaro paralyzes Rosalind Joyce Bell.
24. 7/13/06 - Rene Miguel Sanchez, h/m, 35, shot in the neck and head and killed by Houston PD officer Richard Pina (13-yr. veteran, Clear Lake Div.) Pina responded to a family disturbance call; he claims Sanchez refused to open the door or let him speak to his wife, who was standing beside him. Pina claims Sanchez raised a pistol, then brought it down "in a threatening manner." Pina fired three times, hitting Sanchez twice. Sanchez is the 9th person known to have been shot to death this year by a Harris County police officer.
23. 7/5/06 - Harold Joseph Natale, b/m, 29, wounded when shot by off-duty Houston PD officer G. Gutierrez, who had been called by a family member reporting someone breaking into her garage. Gutierrez found Natale pushing a large toolbox. When Gutierrez tried to arrest him, a struggle ensued, and Natale was shot in the foot. Natale is the 14th person known to have been wounded this year when shot by a Harris County police officer.
21. & 22. 6/29/06 - I. Naranjo and S. Martinez, wounded when shot by Pasadena PD officer E. Hudson (5 or 6-yr. veteran), who says he found them "acting suspiciously" when he responded to a disturbance call. He claims they tried to run over him, and fired his gun once; the same bullet struck the driver in the wrist and the passenger in the leg. Neither injury was serious. Naranjo and Martinez are the 12th and 13th persons known to have been wounded this year when shot by a Harris County police officer.
20. 6/19/06 - E. Tyrone, shot and killed by Houston PD officers R. Curl and K. Crellin (27 - and 15-yr. veterans). Tyrone robbed a bank with a BB gun, then went across the street to a Jack-In-The-Box. As she stood in line, the officers approached her and claim she pulled a pistol and pointed it at them. They shot her "at least twice" in the abdomen. Tyrone is the 8th person known to have been shot to death this year by Harris County police officers.
19. 6/1/06 - Eric William Goodman, w/m, 47, wounded when shot once (variously reported as in the chest, stomach, and abdomen) by Houston PD officer Michael J. Hightower (24-yr. veteran, Westside Patrol Div.) Responding to a disturbance call, officers found Goodman in his boxer shorts with a pistol in the back waistband, arguing with a woman. When told to "show his hands," police claim he instead turned and began pointing the pistol at them; Hightower then shot him. Goodman is the 11th person known to have been wounded this year when shot by a Harris County police officer.
18. 5/19/06 - J. Bullock, killed when shot by Houston PD officer J.D. Green, 43 (16-yr. veteran, Northeast Patrol Div.) Bullock and two others were leaving a store after robbing it, when officer Green arrived. Bullock allegedly shot at Green, who returned fire with a shotgun. Bullock died in the hospital. Bullock is the 7th person known to have been shot to death this year by a Harris County police officer.
17. 5/4/06 - Leroy Cooper, b/m, 54, wounded when shot by Houston PD Sgt. D.J. Culak, 52 (28-yr. veteran). Officers found Cooper in a trailer at the HPD Vehicle Compound. When ordered to stop what he was doing (allegedly stealing tools), police claim he charged at Culak with a tire iron, who then shot Cooper several times. He was taken to the hospital in serious condition. Cooper is the tenth person known to have been wounded this year when shot by a Harris County police officer.
16. 4/22/06 - Carlos Vela Trevino, h/m, 38, wounded when shot in the foot, buttocks, and both thighs by Houston PD Sgt. A. Porras (32-yr. veteran), and officers L.G. Gay III (11-yr. veteran) and R.L. Mason (25-yr. veteran), all from the Tactical Operations Div., K-9 unit. Police were called to a domestic dispute by a neighbor, who reported hearing gunshots and screaming from a nearby home. After a woman and two children left the home, officers entered and found Trevino in a bedroom. Trevino allegedly began firing at the officers, who returned fire, injuring Trevino. Trevino is the ninth person known to have been wounded this year when shot by a Harris County police officer.
15. 4/5/06 - J. Okusaga, wounded when shot in the hand by Houston PD officer E. LaCourt, who had responded to an assault call. Witnesses said Okusaga and a companion had tried to rob and then beat a 75-yr. old man, and they called for police. Police claim that Okusaga "made an overt motion to his back" as they tried to take him into custody, and LaCourt shot him. The elderly man was taken to the hospital in good condition.
14. 4/4/06 - Frederick Tippett, 37, wounded when shot in the neck and arm by unidentified member of Pasadena multi-agency drug task force. Several officers, driving unmarked cars, tried to stop Tippett's pickup. (It is not specified whether Tippett was driving or was a passenger.) In an effort to escape, Tippett's vehicle rammed one of the officer's cars, and another officer fired shots, hitting Tippett. The driver continued trying to escape and rammed another officer's car, who got out and shot three times at the pickup. It is possible that Tippett was unaware the pursuing cars were driven by police officers.
13. 4/2/06 - Kevin O'Neal Harrison, b/m, 18, shot and killed by Baytown PD officers G. Slaven and W. Nelson. Police claim Harrison intended to force the elderly homeowners to withdraw money from an ATM. Instead, the wife managed to call police from another room; when they arrived, officers said Harrison raised his gun at them. They then shot him several times. Harrison is the 6th person known to have been shot to death this year by Harris County police officers.
12. 3/31/06 - E. Santitanes, wounded when shot by Tomball PD officer J. Williams. Santitanes and a companion had stolen a vehicle. When stopped and arrested, Williams shot Santitanes. No further details available. (media reports)
11. 3/15/06 - Robert Paul Cantrell, w/m, 36, critically wounded when shot by Houston PD officer Ryan G. Gardiner (a 4-yr. veteran from Northeast Patrol Div.) Gardiner followed Cantrell to a gas station because the car he was driving was reported stolen. As Cantrell came out of the station's store, Gardiner ordered him to lie on the ground. He claims Cantrell instead "dived into the stolen vehicle," reaching under the passenger seat. Gardiner then shot at him five times. No weapon was reported to have been found in the car.
10. 3/12/06 - Kristopher Brandon Moore, 19, killed when shot twice outside a restaurant by an unidentified off-duty Harris County sheriff's deputy (14-yr. veteran, narcotics division). Moore had attempted to rob the deputy at knifepoint, unaware that he was a police officer. The deputy also shot at Moore's accomplice as he tried to drive away. It is a violation of HCSO policy to shoot at a fleeing vehicle. Moore is the 5th person known to have been shot to death this year by a Harris County police officer.
9. 3/11/06 - William Petty, 29, shot in the abdomen and killed by Houston PD narcotics officer D.L. Deblanc, who had gone to Petty's apartment to buy drugs. Petty opened the door with a "gun" in his waistband. Deblanc claims he shot Petty when he reached for the gun, later discovered to be a toy pistol. Petty is the 4th person known to have been shot to death this year by a Harris County police officer.
8. 2/28/06 - D. Cobourne, wounded when shot by Pasadena PD officer T. Neilon, who began questioning Cobourne because he allegedly matched the description of a suspect in a robbery case. Police claim Cobourne struck an officer as he drove away, and that's when Neilon shot him. He was in serious condition with a gunshot wound in his neck. The officer who allegedly was hit by the van was not injured.
7. 2/23/06 - Levi Balderas, h/m, wounded when shot in the leg by Houston PD officers N. Patel (age 34; 10-yr. veteran) and A. Yanez (age 40; 14-yr. veteran), both from the Eastside Div. Gang Unit. Officers say Balderas and another person were burglarizing cars at a restaurant parking lot, and Balderas rammed their car with his pickup when they tried to arrest him. Claiming he accelerated toward them, both officers fired, and Balderas was hit in the leg. Police do not explain how Balderas was hit in the leg if the officers fired while in front of his vehicle.
6. 2/10/06 - Unidentified person, wounded when shot by Harris County Sheriff's deputy D. Hillborn. (Sheriff's Dept. refuses to release details of this shooting.)
5. 2/8/06 - Unidentified 16-yr. old girl, threatening suicide is wounded when shot in the foot by Houston PD officer C.W. Jackson (Westside Patrol Division). Police say the girl was brandishing a knife as she moved toward them, and Jackson shot twice as he stumbled backward, hitting her foot. Officers then took the knife from her. Once again, no member of HPD's Critical Incident Team responded to this urgent call involving a mentally ill person. This girl is the second person known to have been wounded this year when shot by a Harris County police officer.
4. 2/2/06 - Jeremy Ethon Roberson
b/m, 28, killed when shot by Houston PD officers W. Crank, M. Jones, D. Bejarano, E. Bratton, J. Brown, Fisher, Kelly, Russell and Davis. Roberson had kidnapped his girlfriend and her 4-year old child in Dallas, and was chased by officers from several law enforcement agencies as he drove to Houston. He eventually crashed his car and as it came to a rest, numerous officers approached and shot him. The girlfriend and her child were not harmed. Roberson is the third person known to have been shot to death this year by Harris County police officers.
3. 1/24/06 - Jesse Isaac Sarabia, h/m, 36, shot to death by Houston PD officers M.L. Wisnoskie (22-yr. veteran, North Patrol Div.) and K.E. Uhlin (10-yr. veteran, K-9 Unit), and Harris County sheriff's deputies D. Hess and M. Smith. Deputies say Sarabia fired at them when they forced entry into his home to serve assault warrants, then fled out the back door. Numerous HPD officers joined the search for him and, when found, released the dog on him. When Sarabia began shooting at them, all four officers opened fire, killing him. Sarabia is the 2nd person known to have been shot to death this year by Harris County police officers.
2. 1/8/06 - Edward Collins, 32, shot to death by Harris County sheriff's deputies C. Kowis, J. Cook, K. Landry and J. Spanos, who were responding to a disturbance call at his home. Deputies say they shot Collins as he came out of his home shooting at them; no one else was in the house. Collins is the first person known to have been shot to death this year by Harris County police officers.
1. 1/4/06 - J. "Pepe" Tapia, h/m between 16-20 yrs, wounded when shot by off-duty Houston PD officer R. Adams, who had approached Tapia to question him about a robbery. Police claim that Tapia pulled a pistol and attempted to shoot Adams, but apparently the pistol jammed. Adams shot him as he fled. Tapia is the first person known to have been wounded this year when shot by a Harris County police officer.