2010 - Officer-involved Shootings
In 2010 there were 54 officer-involved shootings, resulting in 14 civilians killed and 40 wounded. Statistics for each agency are as follows:
Law Enforcement Agency Killed Wounded Houston PD 8 21 HCSO 3 17 Pasadena PD 2 0 Baytown PD 0 1 Precinct 5 1 0 South Houston PD 0 1
54. 12/29/10 - David Dwayne Butler
b/m, 26, killed when shot by Houston PD officer C.D. Edwards, a 3-yr. vet. Butler was riding his bike about 7:30 pm, allegedly in the middle of the street and without a headlight. When officers began to arrest him, they claim he reached into his pants pocket and pulled out a gun. Officers further claim he then pointed the gun at Edwards, who shot several times, hitting him in the head and killing him. Butler is the 14th person known to have been shot to death this year by a Harris County police officer. (media reports)
53. 12/23/10 - Marvin Vega, wounded when shot by South Houston PD officer Martin J. Garcia. Vega, driving what police describe as a suspicious car, was briefly chased by Garcia and crashed his car in a ditch. Claiming Vega refused to show his hands, Garcia shot him in the shoulder. (media reports)
See also: 9/27/09 - Garcia wounds Juan Martinez.
52. 12/16/10 - Ciara Lee
b/f, 20, killed when shot by Houston PD officer Dong Q. Hoang, a 9-yr. vet at Westside Patrol. Lee and a companion had robbed a man at gunpoint, then drove to an apartment complex nearby. The victim followed them and waited for police to arrive after he called 911. They found Lee and her companion sitting in their car, and ordered them out. Hoang said Lee was holding a gun when she got out and claims she tried to flee, then turned and pointed the gun at him. He fired once, killing Lee. Witnesses say she didn't have a gun, and was running away. Relatives describe her as "a sweet spirit who sought dangerous thrills." Lee is the 13th person known to have been shot to death this year by a Harris County police officer. (media reports)
See also: 6/19/04 - Hoang critically wounds Maurice Baldwin Canty.
51. 12/12/10 - Thenhan Tran Huynh, a/m, 28, wounded when shot by off-duty Houston PD officers M. Campbell (11-yr. vet, Tactical Operations) and R. Gibson (3-yr. vet, Southeast Patrol), who were leaving their security jobs near the Galleria. They heard gunshots and saw Huynh holding a pistol out the passenger window of a car. After identifying themselves as police officers, they claim Huynh reached down as if to retrieve his pistol, and they shot into the car several times, hitting Huynh in the neck. (media reports)
50. 12/5/10 - Naaman Pierce, killed when shot by Harris County Sheriff's deputy J. Guillen, who had responded to a call from a woman who said Pierce was threatening her. Guillen said Pierce was holding an iron bar and walked toward him, ignoring his order to drop the bar. Guillen shot once, striking Pierce in the chest. Pierce is the 12th person known to have been shot to death this year by a Harris County police officer. (media reports)
49. 11/30/10 - Jaime Ibarra, h/m, wounded when shot by Houston PD officer M.S. Scales. Ibarra had caused a family disturbance, and police were called. Ibarra left the home, but was soon surrounded by the Houston PD SWAT team. Officers claim he pointed a gun at them, and Scales shot him. (media report)
See also: 1/11/09 - Scales shoots, kills Stephen Paul Greene (mentally ill).
48. 11/22/10 - Vernell Bazile, b/m, wounded when shot by Houston PD officer C.E. Dorton (NE Patrol, 2-yr. vet). Police officers stopped Bazile's car, believing him and his companion to be involved in several robberies. The men fled, and officers gave chase. Dorton claims Bazile turned and began to reach into his waistband; Dorton shot at him several times, hitting Bazile in the leg. (media reports)
47. 11/17/10 - Oliver Caldwell, wounded when shot by Houston PD Lt. S. Casko. As police officers were arresting 4 men for attempted burglary, Caldwell ran away. Officers began chasing him, and he allegedly turned and pointed a gun at Casko, who then shot him in the face. (media reports)
46. 11/9/10 Frederick Blue, wounded when shot by Harris County Sheriff's deputy M. Dearcos. Deputies had stopped Blue for a traffic violation, but they say when Blue got out of his car he ran away. As the deputies chased him, one claimed that he saw a gun in Blue's hand; that's when Dearcos shot at him, hitting Blue in the leg. (media reports)
45. 11/8/10 - Arushary London Goodwill, b/m, 26, killed when shot by rookie Houston PD officer A.W. Linton (NE Patrol). An unidentified officer saw Goodwill making what appeared to be a drug transaction, and ordered him to stop. Goodwill instead tried to run away, and fired at the officer as he ran. The officer caught Goodwill and as they struggled for the gun, Linton arrived and claimed Goodwill pointed the gun at the other officer, so he shot him in the head. Goodwill is the 11th person known to have been shot to death this year by a Harris County police officer. (media reports)
43. & 44. 11/5/10 - Max Nieto, h/m, 20, and Antonio Rodriguez, h/m, 16, wounded when shot by Houston PD officer B.R. Baker (7-yr. vet, Gang Div.) When officers interrupted a burglary in progress, Nieto jumped in his car and allegedly drove toward the officers; Baker fired several shots, but he got away. Police claim Rodriguez then reached for a gun at his waist, and Baker shot him in the arm and leg. Nieto was captured later; his wounds were not described. (media reports)
42. 11/3/10 - Morgan Chadwick Wilson, 21, (unarmed) wounded when shot by Houston PD officer M. Rivera (1-1/2 year vet, Southwest Patrol). When officers responded to an assault call, Wilson ran from the house and jumped over the fence. Rivera looked over the fence with his weapon drawn, and ordered Wilson to stop. He did, turned to face the officer and, according to Rivera, raised his right arm. Rivera claimed he thought Wilson had a weapon, and shot him twice - once in each leg. No weapon was reported to have been found. (media reports)
41. 10/30/10 - Ricardo Salazar-Limon, h/m, 25, (unarmed) wounded when shot by Houston PD officer C.C. "Charlie" Thompson (4-year vet), who stopped Salazar-Limon for speeding. Thompson says he smelled alcohol and when he attempted to arrest him, Salazar-Limon resisted and began running back to his vehicle. Thompson claims he thought Salazar-Limon was reaching for a weapon, so he shot him - in the back. (media reports)
Also see, 5/7/11 - Jesse Brown killed when shot by C.C. "Charlie" Thompson and other officers.
40. 10/26/10 - Rogelio Rodriguez, h/m, (unarmed) wounded when shot by off-duty Houston PD officer R.O. Carreon (4-year vet), who was awakened by his car alarm. Carreon says he saw a man getting out of his (Carreon's) truck, and feared he had stolen his gun. Carreon claims the man then began walking toward his wife, so he shot him multiple times with a shotgun. (media reports)
39. 10/10/10 - Jose Edgardo Rivera, h/m, 21, wounded when shot by Houston PD officer M.T. Hardt, a one-year rookie. When Hardt responded to a "shooting in progress" call at a club, witnesses pointed him to 3 men walking down the street. Told to stop and show their hands, Rivera continued walking and entered the gate of a home. When Rivera turned after entering the gate, Hardt claims he feared for his life and shot him in the shoulder. Nobody else was harmed. Police say a gun was found on the ground near Rivera. (media reports)
38. 9/20/10 - Edward Tremayne Jamison
b/m, 34, wounded when shot by Houston PD officer Eric V. Athmejvar, 24, a rookie cop since January this year. Jamison had blocked a street with his car, then allegedly approached a woman and pointed a gun at her. The woman managed to get away unharmed. As police were questioning the woman, Jamison returned and was identified by her. He then tried to flee, and Athmejvar, claiming Jamison tried to run over him, shot at him several times, hitting Jamison in the arm and hand. Jamison escaped, but later turned himself in. (media reports)
37. 9/14/10 - Jerome Goody, 23, wounded when shot by off-duty Harris County sheriff's deputy Mitchell Bettin. Goody and 2 accomplices tried to rob a bank, where Bettin was working as a security guard. A shoot-out ensued - Goody was shot in the leg and Bettin, in the hand. Goody escaped but was later arrested when he sought treatment for his wounds. (media reports)
36. 9/10/10 - Joel Andrew Bell, (unarmed) wounded when shot by Harris County sheriff's deputy D. Telles, who had stopped Bell's vehicle thinking it might have been involved in a robbery. A foot chase ensued, and Telles, claiming he thought Bell was armed and feared for his life, shot him. (media reports)
35. 9/3/10 - Amin Rocha, killed when shot by off-duty Houston PD officer J.L. Falcon. When Falcon heard a woman screaming, he approached Rocha, who was pulling a woman from her car. Rocha allegedly pulled a gun, and Falcon shot him. Rocha is the 10th person known to have been shot to death this year by a Harris County police officer. (media reports)
34. 8/31/10 - Leonard Lee Allen, (unarmed) wounded when shot by off-duty Houston PD officer S.C. Lameyer, who saw Allen and a companion breaking into a car. Lameyer shot at them, hitting Allen in the arm and leg. (media reports)
33. 8/9/10 - David Christian Ufert, 43, killed when shot by Pasadena PD officers Cesar Ibarra (a 5-month rookie) and Damon Drey (12-yr. vet.). Officers responded to a robbery and found Ufert near his vehicle. They claim Ufert pointed a gun at them, and they shot him several times in the torso, killing him. Ufert is the 9th person known to have been shot to death this year by a Harris County police officer. (media reports)
32. 8/4/10 - Freeman J. Morrow, (unarmed) wounded when shot by Harris County sheriff's deputy S.D. Simpson. Deputies responded to "man down" call and found Morrow in his Jeep. Morrow refused to get out of his car and backed up, hitting one of the deputies, who shot at him. Deputies claim Morrow then tried to hit one of them as he drove forward; Simpson fired 8 times, hitting Morrow twice. (media reports)
31. 7/12/10 - Dennis Dwain Jackson, 57, (unarmed) killed when shot by Pasadena PD officer W.B. Dudley. Jackson had robbed a bank and was walking away when Dudley responded to a silent alarm. Jackson refused to stop, and tried to pull something from his pocket. Dudley fired numerous times, killing Jackson. One of the bullets went into a nearby business. Jackson is the 8th person known to have been shot to death this year by a Harris County police officer. (media reports)
See also: 3/22/00 - Dudley shoots, kills Edwin Diaz.
30. 6/29/10 - Diego Castellanos, h/m, critically wounded when shot by Harris County sheriff's deputy Michael Medina, who had responded to a call about a man in the street with a knife. Medina claims Castellanos refused to put the knife down and began to approach him, so he shot him. Medina was fired in 2013 for sexual misconduct while on duty. (media reports)
See also:06/07/12 - Medina shoots Jaime Gamboa as he surrenders;
11/04/11 - Medina shoots Quentin Russell and Octavius Marshall;
03/09/11 - Medina shoots Charles R. Roy, Jr.; and
06/17/09 - Medina wounds J. Garcia.
29. 5/26/10 - Gene Horace II, b/m, 20, (unarmed) wounded when shot by off-duty rookie Houston PD officer Jason E. Rice, working security at his apartment complex. Rice allegedly found Horace burglarizing his car, and a foot chase ensued. Rice claims Horace turned and faced him and appeared to put his hand in his waistband, so he shot him - in the back. Rice has been with HPD less than a year. (media reports)
28. 5/23/10 - Unidentified man, 31, wounded by pellets from shotgun held by Houston PD officer K.G. Solis, 26, a 2-yr. veteran, who claims his gun accidentally discharged. (media reports)
27. 5/20/10 - Eddie Lee Moore, b/m, 37, wounded when shot by Houston PD vice officers B.L. Hall (17-yr. vet.) and K.L. Raven (8-yr. vet.). Officers were working a prostitution sting when Moore (the woman's alleged pimp) burst into the hotel room and shot at Hall. When Raven heard the shots from an adjoining room, he opened the door and shot Moore. (media reports)
See also: 01/27/99 - Hall wounds Robert N. Guthrie; and
07/06/05 - Raven wounds Ronald Hamilton and Shedrick White.
26. 5/19/10 - Timothy Colton, killed when shot by Pct. 5 constable Sgt. Jason McDaniel and deputies A. Hinojosa, B. McIlWain, R. Razo, and D. Potter. Colton and two others were burglarizing a home when a deputy arrived and arrested two of the men. Colton fled, but as officers searched the area for him, McDaniel encountered him hiding between two houses. McDaniel claims Colton shot at him. When the other deputies heard gunfire they ran toward McDaniel, and all five officers began shooting at Colton. Colton is the 7th person known to have been shot to death this year by Harris County police officers. (media reports)
25. 5/16/10 - Jeffrey Marlon Peterson, b/m, 37, wounded when shot by Houston PD officer E. Garza (4-yr. vet., Westside Patrol). When Garza stopped Peterson for a vehicle violation he became uncooperative, then got out of his car and allegedly charged at Garza, who Tasered him without effect. Another officer arrived and also Taserred him, without effect. Garza claims Peterson then went back to his car, retrieved a gun and pointed it at him. He further says both officers ordered Peterson to drop the gun and when he didn't, Garza shot him; the assisting officer did not fire her weapon. (media reports)
24. 4/24/10 - Dustin Williams, (unarmed) wounded when shot by Harris County Sheriff's deputy K. Ontivares, an 8-yr. veteran. Williams was found asleep in his car, stopped in the middle lane of the North Freeway. Ontivares says he removed a gun that was in Williams' lap, which startled him. Because his car was blocked in the front by a wrecker, Williams threw the car into reverse. Deputy Ontivares dodged and drew his weapon. Then as he drove forward, Ontivares claims Williams tried to run over him and shot several times at the driver's door (against HCSO policy), hitting Williams in the arm. (media reports)
23. 4/19/10 - Clevontae Reynolds, 18, killed when shot from behind by off-duty Houston PD officer Rafael Baez, Jr., a 15-year veteran. Baez was visiting friends in Arlington, Texas, when he heard what he described as a gang fight in the street. He went outside to try to stop the fight, and says Reynolds brandished a gun, so he shot him. Reynolds began to run away, and Baez unloaded his weapon at him, killing him. Reynolds is the 6th person known to have been shot to death this year by a Harris County police officer. (media reports)
22. 4/15/10 - Ayinde Ekundayo Jordan, b/m, 30, wounded when shot in the hip by Houston PD officer Tony Tomeo (13-yr. vet, Westside Patrol), who found Jordan holding and threatening a woman with a knife. When confronted by Tomeo, Jordan moved away from the woman and crouched nearby. Tomeo claims he refused to drop the knife, so he shot him. (media reports)
See also: 10/25/98 - Tomeo shoots and kills Derek Kaeseman.
w/m, 26, killed when shot by Harris County sheriff's deputy J. Garcia, who had gone to Brooks' home to investigate an earlier incident. Brooks came to the door, allegedly with a rifle, which Garcia convinced him to put down. Garcia claims that when he tried to arrest Brooks, he became combative and grabbed his Taser. He further claims that at the same time Brooks was urging his dog, a pit bull, to attack him, so he drew his gun and shot Brooks. Then he shot and killed the dog, which had not attacked him. Neighbors described the Brooks family as "real nice people," and the dog as being so docile that neighborhood children could pet him. Brooks is the 5th person known to have been shot to death this year by a Harris County police officer. (media reports)
See also: 5/9/07 - Garcia shoots, wounds C. Bennett.
20. 4/3/10 - Faustino Espinoza, (unarmed) wounded when shot by off-duty Houston PD officer Daniel Calballero, who found Espinoza asleep in his car with music blaring. After confronting him about the music Calballero claims Espinoza moved toward him and he arrested him. Espinoza turned away from Calballero after he handcuffed one of his hands. Claiming a struggle ensued, Calballero drew his gun and shot, hitting Faustino in the foot with bullet fragments. Espinoza was not armed. (media reports)
19. 3/27/10 - Rosalio Ledesma, 28, killed when shot by undercover Houston PD officers S.J. Hamala and Anthony R. Pisaro. Police say Jamala and Pisaro, both in camouflage, were staking out a warehouse which they had been told would be robbed. They claim that when one of the suspected robbers discovered one of the officers in a field, he approached him with a gun. Both officers then fired, killing Ledesma. It is not known if the officers identified themselves before shooting. Ledesma is the 4th person known to have been shot to death this year by Harris County police officers. (media reports)
See also: (Pisaro media reports)
3/23/13 S.J. Hamala and T. Warren wounds N. Thibodeaux; 11/4/12 - S.J. Hamala kills Brandon Obermiller 8/1/06 - Pisaro and Hamala shoot Steven Ferrel; 8/1/01 - Pisaro kills Haywood Louis Ogburn, 32; 3/12/01 - Pisaro wounds John Jones Jr.; 8/7/98 - Pisaro shoots fellow officer Richard Pedraza; 1/1/93 - Pisaro shoots and kills Amos Perry, age 15; 12/20/91 - Pisaro shoots Rosalind Joyce Bell, paralyzing her; and 5/24/08 - S.J. Hamala shoots Dora Sublett. 8/1/06 - S.J. Hamala shoots Steven Ferel.
18. 3/26/10 - Gabriel Ali Henley, 19 and unarmed, wounded when shot by Baytown PD officer A. Corrales II, who had responded to a disturbance call at a birthday party. Police claim Corrales was knocked to the ground and partygoers were trying to take his weapons, so he drew his gun and fired twice at Henley, who allegedly was standing over him, hitting him in the abdomen. (media reports)
b/m, 21, killed when shot by Houston PD officer J.P. Horelica (8-yr. vet., Midwest Patrol). Rogers and a companion had robbed a convenience store. As they were leaving, officers arrived and captured Rogers' companion. Horelica claims that Rogers pointed a gun at him, so he shot him. But the autopsy report states that Rogers was shot in the back. Rogers is the 3rd person known to have been shot to death this year by a Harris County police officer. Horelica was no-billed. (media reports)
Houston PD officer, J.P. Horelica
16. 3/7/10 - Moises Roman Mendez
h/m, 28, wounded when shot by Houston PD Sgt. Peter Morales and officers Shelby McDonald and Chad Nichols. Mendez had just robbed 3 businesses and was being chased by officers. When he crashed his car, the officers claim he emerged from the car with gun in hand, and they shot him, hitting him at least twice. (This incident is being investigated by the Montgomery County D.A.) (media reports)
15. 2/24/10 - Steven Sevan Guidry
b/m, 41, (unarmed) wounded when shot in the back of the neck by Houston PD officer Brendon Delon Green (14-yr. vet, Southeast Patrol). After stopping Guidry for a minor traffic violation, Green claims he refused to get out of his pickup, so he pulled him out. Then he says Guidry resisted and reached into his waistband. Green says he "feared for his life," and he shot him. A passenger with Guidry disputes Green's version of this incident, saying Guidry did not resist or struggle with Green. No weapon was reported to have been found in Guidry's possession. (media reports)
Also see: Excessive force charges against HPD Officer Brenton Green
14. 2/2/10 - Jose O. DeLaRosa, b/m, 18, killed when shot by Harris County Sheriff's deputies Jason Hayes and Ronathan Persaud. DeLaRosa had just shot 4 people, killing 2, and crashed his car during a chase by deputies. When DeLaRosa got out of the car with a gun, deputies claim he pointed the gun at them, and they shot him. Video shows deputies failed to render any kind of medical aid as DeLaRosa lay dying. He was finally attended by paramedics after they arrived 8 minutes later, and only after they had spoken to deputies. DeLaRosa is the 2nd person known to have been shot to death this year by Harris County police officers. (media reports)
13. 1/24/10 - Ashley Ginn, 21 and mentally ill, wounded when shot by Harris County Sheriff's deputy G. Hardin. Ginn was threatening suicide, holding two guns at her head. When she turned to look at her mother, still pointing the guns at her head, the deputy shot her, in the hand and face. (media reports)
10. 11. & 12. 1/19/10 - Don Jamar Boston, 25, and Shuronda D. Johnson and Sunshine Randel, 26 and 27 years old, (unarmed) wounded when shot by off-duty Harris County Sheriff's deputies B. Ketrib and J. Denham. The deputies, who were not in uniform, claim they smelled marijuana coming from the car and started toward it. When one of the deputies told Boston to roll down his window, they claim Boston instead drove off. As he did so, the car ran over the deputy's foot and knocked him down. Both Ketrib and Denham fired several shots at the fleeing car, striking all 3 occupants. About an hour later, they arrested Boston after he called for medical help. No drugs or weapons were found in the car. (media reports)
See also: 11/29/08 - Denham wounds Charles Smith, mentally ill.
9. 1/18/10 - Mario Hector Deanda II, h/m, 23, wounded when shot several times by off-duty Houston PD officers F. Briones (8-yr. vet) and J. Estrada (9-yr vet), who were working security at a club when they heard two men arguing. They say Deanda retrieved a shotgun from his car, then pointed it at the other man. When officers ordered Deanda to drop his gun, he allegedly continued to threaten the other man, so they shot him. (media reports)
7. & 8. 1/17/10 - Larry Polk, b/m, and Devante Jackson, b/m, wounded when shot by off-duty Harris County Sheriff's deputy B. Chanthavisouk, who was working security at an apartment complex with his partner. As they ran toward the sound of gunshots, they saw Polk and Jackson running away. Chanthavisouk shot at them when they refused to stop, wounding one of them in the leg. Deputies claim Polk and Jackson were armed and suspected them of a nearby home robbery. It is not reported where Jackson was wounded. (media reports)
6. 1/17/10 - Amjed Khalaf, 37, (unarmed) wounded when shot by Harris County Sheriff's deputy D. Garcia that were attempting to serve an arrest warrant for assault. When deputies arrived, Khalaf's brother and other family members told them that there were no guns in the house, that Khalaf was holding a toy gun and was trying to commit suicide. His brother said, "They didn't want to hear it," and was handcuffed and put in a patrol car. When they entered the home, officers claim Khalaf ran down the stairs at them with a gun in his hand, and Garcia shot him. Khalaf was Life-Flighted to the hospital; he is expected to survive. (media reports)
5. 1/15/10 - Louis Guidry, killed when shot by Houston PD officer R. Massey,Narcotics officers had entered Guidry's home with a search warrant; they were confronted by Guidry holding a shotgun. In the exchange of gunfire, Guidry was killed. Guidry is the 1st person known to have been shot to death this year by a Harris County police officer. (media reports)
4. 1/15/10 - Antwine Graves, wounded when shot by off-duty Harris County Sheriff's deputy R. Smith. Graves, wearing a ski mask and holding a toy gun, attempted to rob the bank where Smith was working security. Smith shot him when Graves allegedly pointed the gun at him. (media reports)
2. & 3. 1/9/10 - Domonique Gibson and Luis Reed, unarmed, wounded when shot by Harris County Sheriff's deputies M. Ritchie and T. Rawls. The deputies were dispatched to an apartment complex where a man and woman were knocking on doors. They located Gibson and Reed sitting in a vehicle and ordered them to show their hands. They claim that instead Reed sped off, and they shot at the vehicle, hitting Reed in the wrist. Gibson later went to a hospital claiming she shot herself. (media reports)
1. 1/1/10 - Brent S. Nichols, wounded when shot by Harris County Sheriff's deputies E. Cavazos, R.L. Salazar, and TDPS officer S.M. Hemphill. There were no media reports for this shooting.
See also: 11/15/08 - Salazar shoots, kills Onyeije Giles.
Officer shootings show no signs of abating