2013 - Officer-involved Shootings
In 2013, there were 43 officer-involved shootings, resulting in 18 civilians killed and 25* wounded. None of the officers has yet been true-billed. Statistics for each agency are as follows:
Law Enforcement Agency Killed Wounded Houston PD 9
Harris County Sheriff’s Office 6 3* Pasadena PD 0 1 Pearland PD 1 0
Humble PD 0 1 Pct 3 0
Pct 7 0 1 Pct 8 0 1 TDPS 1 0 DEA 0 1 Homeland Security 0 1
* – one man was shot by officers from different agencies.
43. 11/19/13 – Denzel Smith, 21, wounded when shot by unidentified Pct. 8 deputy constable. Deputies responded to report of a man shooting a gun, and found him standing in water with a gun. They claim he would not surrender, and turned with the gun pointing toward them. The unidentified deputy then shot him in the shoulder. (media reports)
42. 11/3/13 – Demontre D. Bridges, b/m, 17, wounded when shot by Houston PD officer M. Rivera, a 4-yr vet assigned to Southwest Patrol Div. Officers located Bridges in a stolen car and followed him into the parking lot of an apartment complex. When they tried to arrest him, a struggle ensued and Rivera claims he feared for his life, so he shot at Bridges; the bullet grazed his chest. (media reports)
41. 10/24/13 – Matthew Deshune Swiney, b/m, 22, killed when shot by Houston PD officer A. Garza Jr., a one-year rookie. When responding to a domestic disturbance, officers saw Swiney with a hammer and a knife. Garza broke out a window and shot Garza as he began stabbing his mother, who was hospitalized in serious condition. Swiney is the 18th person known to have been shot to death this year by a Harris County police officer. (media reports)
40. 9/30/13 – Rosel Joel Agurcia-Garcia, h/m, 24, wounded when shot by Houston PD officer Jason E. Draycott, a 28-yr vet currently at South Gessner Patrol Div. Police received a call about a disturbance, possibly with weapons. When Draycott arrived, Garcia broke a window and climbed out of the apartment. Draycott ordered him to get on the ground, but says he instead broke out more glass from the window and began approaching him with a glass shard. Draycott shot, hitting him “more than once.” (media reports)
See also, 12/20/91 – Rosalind Joyce Bell, 24, known by police to be mentally ill, shot in the side and spine and left paralyzed from the waist down by Houston police officer Jason E. Draycott and his partner, Anthony R. Pisaro. (media reports)
39. 9/26/13 – Hardy G. Moore, b/m, 24, wounded when shot by Houston PD office J. Rosemon, a 3-yr vet assigned to the Gang Div. Officers saw two men standing in the street; as they approached, they say the men ran in different directions. Rosemon claims that as Moore was running, he put a gun under his arm and shot (backwards) at him. Claiming he feared for his life, Rosemon shot Moore in the back (“more than once,” according to the HPD report). (media reports)
See also, 10/11/12 – Rosemon, then still a rookie cop, shot and killed Kenneth Brian Releford, unarmed and mentally ill. (media reports)
38. 9/25/13 – Ponicano Montemayor, h/m, killed when shot by Houston PD officer S.J. Hamala (SWAT), a 23-yr vet. Harris County Sheriff’s deputies asked an HPD SWAT team to assist them in serving a narcotics search warrant, claiming that Montemayor had multiple weapons in his home. When SWAT officers broke down the door and began to enter, they claim Montemayor grabbed a gun and pointed it at them, so Hamala shot him. Montemayor is the 17th person known to have been shot to death this year by a Harris County police officer. (media reports)
NOTE: This shooting is very similar to that of Wilfido Joel Alfaro on 3/5/09. (media reports)
Also see: 3/23/2013 – N. Thibodeaux, wounded when shot by Houston PD officers S.J. Hamala and T. Warren (media reports);
11/4/2012 – Brandon Obermiller, killed when shot by Houston PD officer S.J. Hamala (media reports;
3/27/2010 – Undercover Houston PD officers S.J. Hamala involved in the killing of Rosalio Ledesma (media reports);
5/24/2008 – S.J. Hamala shoots Dora Sublett (media reports), and
8/1/2006 – S.J. Hamala shoots Steven Ferel (media reports).
37. 9/18/13 – Misraim Nathaniel Cisneros, h/m, 20, killed when shot by Harris County Sheriff’s Reserves deputy Lt. J. Rollins, a 30-yr vet. Cisneros had asked to see some jewelry at a pawn shop. A clerk suspected he was casing the shop for a future burglary, and called for police. When asked for his ID, Cisneros said it was in his car, and started walking to his car. Rollins arrived at that time and followed him. Cisneros then pulled a gun and shot at Rollins,who was not hit, but he returned fire, hitting Cisneros twice. Cisneros died after arriving at the hospital. Cisneros is the 16th person known to have been shot to death this year by a Harris County police officer. (media reports)
36. 9/13/13 – Salvador Vasquez, h/m, 23, wounded when shot by Houston PD officer N. Escobar, a 28-yr vet assigned to Northeast Patrol Div. Vasquez and a companion had broken into a vehicle and were still in the parked vehicle when police arrived. As his companion was arrested, Vasquez took off in the car, and a brief chase ensued before he crashed. He then began running on foot. Escobar claims he turned toward him with a gun in his hand, so he shot him. Another report says a gun was tossed onto the roof of a nearby building. (media reports)
35. 9/9/13 – Jerry Barnes, killed when shot by Houston PD officers Robert Rivas and C. Frazzini both 5-yr vets now at Gang Div.), and R. Gilchrest and V. Zaunbrecher (both 4-yr vets now at Central Patrol). Officers stopped Barnes for a traffic violation, but when they approached his car, Barnes shot at them and drove away. A lengthy chase ensued with more patrol cars in pursuit, ending when Barnes ultimately crashed his car. When he got out of the car he began shooting at the officers again as he fled on foot. The four named officers returned fire, killing him. Barnes is the 15th person known to have been shot to death this year by Harris County police officers. (media reports)
33. & 34. 9/5/13 – Kendrick Amest, killed when shot by HCSO deputy M. Dupont, and Tremarcus McAdams, wounded when shot by HCSO deputy E. Rios and Pct. 3 deputy constable Herman Sanders. Officers received a call that a bank was being robbed. When they arrived, Amest, McAdams and others involved in the robbery fled in a van. A chase followed, with the van crashing in a ditch. As the robbers got out of the van they allegedly shot at officers and began fleeing on foot. Officers returned their fire, killing Amest and wounding McAdams. Their companions were caught and arrested. Amest is the 14th person known to have been shot to death this year by Harris County police officers. (media reports)
32. 9/1/13 – Freddy Gutierrez, h/m, 28, killed when shot by Houston PD officer J. Medina, a one-yr rookie assigned to Westside Patrol. There was an altercation of several men outside an apartment complex. When officers responded to a call about a man with a weapon, witnesses pointed to Gutierrez, standing with his hands in pockets. Ordered to take out his hands, officers claim he drew out a gun and pointed it at them; Medina shot four times, hitting him in the chest and abdomen. Gutierrez is the 13th person known to have been shot to death this year by a Harris County police officer. (media reports)
NOTE: Interesting that Medina’s partner, a cop with more experience, didn’t shoot.
31. 8/22/13 – Eric Jordan Tucker, b/m, 32, wounded when shot by Houston PD officers B. Foltz (19-yr vet) and J. Ngar (6-yr vet), both from Westside Patrol Div. When officers responded to a robbery call and broke through a locked door, Tucker began walking toward them with his hands up. Foltz searched him, then handcuffed him with his hands behind his back. Tucker told them he had an accomplice in the back of the store, so Ngar went to investigate while Foltz stayed with Tucker. Once Ngar was gone, Tucker stood up and allegedly pulled a gun from his pants and began shooting at Foltz, who returned fire as Tucker ran toward an exit. Ngar saw him and also shot at him as he continued running. He was found nearby, wounded in both an arm and a leg. There was no accomplice. (media reports)
30. 8/11/13 – John Alexander, 17, wounded when shot by HCSO deputies T. Robinson, J. Baker and J. Suazo. Deputies responded to a burglary call at an auto yard and found four male teens stealing gas and parts. Two of them jumped over the fence and fled; Alexander and a 13-yr-old got into a pickup, ramming a patrol car as they tried to drive away. All deputies shot at them, wounding Alexander when a bullet grazed his head. (media reports)
See also, 7/3/12 – Robinson and Suazo kill Jesus Rivera.
29. 8/5/13 - Rene Benito-Amaro, h/m, killed when shot by Houston PD officer E. Newman (21-yr vet, Tactical Operations). Police responded to a call about firearms being discharged by a man in a green SUV, and tried to detain Amaro. He instead ran away on foot. K-9 officer Newman then found him hiding behind a nearby strip center and claims Amaro pointed a gun at him, so he shot him. Amaro is the 12th person known to have been shot to death this year by a Harris County police officer. (media reports)
28. 7/10/13 - Donald Washington Jr., b/m, killed when shot by Texas DPS officer J. Freeman (b/m), a 12-year vet, who saw Washington trying to open car doors in a Wal-Mart parking lot. He claims Washington refused to answer his questions, and pointed a gun at him. They were so close that when Freeman shot him, Washington's gun allegedly fell into his patrol car. (media reports)
27. 7/1/13 - Calvin Jenkins, wounded when shot by Humble PD officer J. Manning. (media reports)
26. 6/23/13 - Noah Silva, killed when shot by Pearland PD officer S. Brown Jr. (media reports)
25. 6/15/13 - Dhafir Rasheed, b/m, 34, wounded when shot by Houston PD officer G. Potter. (media reports)
24. 5/31/13 - Kevin Conard Jones, b/m, 21, wounded when shot by Houston PD officer R. Mason (4-yr vet, Westside Patrol). Officers attempting to serve a warrant said that Jones opened the door and pointed a pistol at them, and Mason shot him. (media reports)
23. 5/18/13 - Alex Chavez, wounded when shot by DEA agent M. Buchert. (media reports)
22. 5/2/13 - Carnell Marcus Moore, b/m, 29, wounded when shot in the shoulder by Homeland Security agent M. Malmquist. Moore simultaneously shot himself in the head, killing himself. (media reports)
21. 4/30/13 – Joe Ibera, wounded when shot by Harris County Sheriff‘s deputy A. Thompson (an undercover narcotics officer), who saw Ibera breaking into a truck at a high school. After a brief chase, Ibera got out of the stolen truck and began running toward the deputy’s vehicle. He allegedly had a large shiny object in his hand, and Thompson, claiming he feared for his life, shot him — in the buttocks. The shiny object was a large pair of pliers. (media reports)
20. 4/29/13 – Urie Gilchrist, killed when shot by Harris County Sheriff‘s deputy James R. Strech, who entered a convenience store to check on a car parked illegally. He found Gilchrist choking a female clerk, and ordered him to release her and show his hands. Gilchrist threw a bag of money at Strech, then allegedly began to reach behind his back. Strech fired one shot, killing him. Gilchrist is the 9th person known to have been shot to death this year by a Harris County police officer. (media reports)
19. 4/26/13 – Cody Point, killed when shot by Houston PD officer Alvin Steelman.
18. 4/25/13 – Bradley Cherry, wounded when shot by Pasadena PD officer P. Ruffin.
17. 4/11/13 – Damien Lewis, wounded when shot by Houston PD officer M. Hernandez.
16. 3/23/13 – Niles Elias Thibodeaux, b/m, 43, critically wounded when shot by Houston PD officers S. Hamala and T. Warren. Officers had responded to a domestic disturbance, and heard a gunshot from inside the home. SWAT officers arrived and a standoff ensued. Thibodeaux eventually ran out the back door; officers say he pointed a gun at them, so they shot him. Thibodeaux’s father was found inside the home, dead from a stab wound in the chest. (media reports)
See also, 11/4/12 – Hamala shoots, kills Brandon Obermiller;
3/27/10 – Hamala involved in the killing of Rosalio Ledesma;
5/24/08 – S.J. Hamala shoots Dora Sublett;
7/31/07 – Warren kills Reginald Lee Sumbler; and
8/1/06 – S.J. Hamala shoots Steven Ferel.
15. 3/21/13 – Edgar Omar Cuellar
h/m, 17 and known to be mentally ill, wounded when shot by Houston PD officers J. Salazar, E. Holland and D. Moreno. Two Jacinto City officers were questioning Cuellar at his home about a previous incident when Cuellar shot both officers. (One officer was not injured because of his bulletproof vest; the other officer was shot in the arm.) When an HPD SWAT team broke down the door and entered the home, Cuellar shot at them. He was wounded when the officers returned fire. It was later revealed that Cuellar had previously complained about treatment he received from one of the Jacinto City officers that he shot. (media reports)
14. 3/19/13 – George Ralph Benard, 38, critically wounded when shot by Houston PD officer F. Rodriguez, a 20-yr. vet, Narcotics Div. As officers began to search his home for narcotics, they say Benard ran to a bedroom and began to put his hand in his waistband. Claiming he feared Benard had a weapon, Rodriguez shot him. (media reports)
13. 3/18/13 – Jared Albert Alvarez, h/m, 32, killed when shot by Houston PD officer Jimmy Dodson, 26, a 2-yr. vet. Officers saw Alvarez driving slowly and erratically, and followed him into a cul-de-sac, where Alvarez’ car became stuck on a large rock. As officer Wes Fikes, 37, approached his car, Alvarez shot at him, wounding him in both arms. Dodson then returned fire at least 9 times, hitting and killing Alvarez. Fikes was released from hospital the following day. Alvarez is the 7th person known to have been shot to death this year by a Harris County police officer. (media reports)
12. 3/9/13 – Dashaude Carr, killed when shot by Harris County Sheriff‘s deputies D. Kerrigan and A.C. Sustaita. When deputies responded to a robbery in progress they saw a truck speeding away from the business and began a chase. After the truck plunged into a gully five men ran from it. Deputies later found one of the men hiding at a creek bank. When ordered to come out, they claim Carr instead started climbing a fence, then turned and pointed a weapon at them, so they shot him. Carr is the 6th person known to have been shot to death this year by a Harris County police officer. (media reports)
11. 3/3/13 – Keith Earl Turner
b/m, 46, wounded when shot by Houston PD officers S. Howze (a 4-yr. vet.) and B. Russell, Jr. (a 2-mo. rookie), both of Southwest Patrol Div. After responding to a call about a suspicious parked vehicle, the officers noticed the driver (Turner) making “suspicious moves.” When Turner got out of the truck with hands raised, the officers say he then pulled a gun from his waistband and began shooting at them. Turner was wounded when they returned fire. (media reports)
Also see:6/19/12 – S. Howze wounded unidentified 32-year-old man.
10. 2/28/13 – Richard McKenzie, killed when shot by off-duty Houston PD officer D. Rivera, a 1-1/2 yr. rookie from Southwest Patrol Div. McKenzie had stolen a bag of food from a woman’s vehicle as she unloaded her groceries. Rivera called for other officers then found McKenzie crouched behind a residence and ordered him to come out. He says McKenzie began rummaging in a backpack, then rushed toward him with scissors in both hands, and he shot him several times. McKenzie is thought to have been homeless; he was also probably mentall ill. McKenzie is the 5th person known to have been shot to death this year by a Harris County police officer. (media reports)
Comment: This is a shameful shooting that should not have happened over a bag of groceries.
9. 2/25/13 – Troy Robertson, 21, killed when shot by Harris County Sheriff’s deputy C. Cook, a 10-yr. vet. Robertson’s parents had called 911 when he allegedly threatened them with a rifle. Before deputies arrived, he left the home but was later found hiding in the back yard. When Cook ordered him to come out, he claims Robertson pointed the rifle at him, so he shot him. Robertson is the 4th person known to have been shot to death this year by a Harris County police officer. (media reports)
8. 2/14/13 – Matthew Kershner, killed when shot in the chest by Pct. 3 deputy constable Sgt. G. Board, a 10-year veteran. After officers tried to stop Kershner for speeding, he crashed his car and then ran, managing to evade their attempts to catch him. Board found him later, sleeping on the floor of a gas station. When Board told him to stand up and show his hands, he claims that Kershner came toward him aggressively while in a crouched position, so he shot him. Kershner is the 3rd person known to have been shot to death this year by a Harris County police officer. (media reports)
7. 2/13/13 – Jan Michael Vincent
b/m, 32, wounded when shot at least once by Houston PD officer D. Morelli, a 7-year veteran of HPD. The officers say they smelled marijuana in a car near where Vincent was standing. When they ordered him to show his hands, they claim he instead got into the car and began rummaging around. They then ordered him to get out of the car, but said he continued searching from something in the car. Morelli claims he could have been searching for a weapon, so he shot him. No explanation was given for why a Taser wasn’t used instead of a lethal weapon. (media reports)
Also see, on 5/2/12 Morelli wounds Darrin Charlot.
6. 2/13/13 – Kenny Detrellis Montgomery, b/m, 34, killed when shot by Houston PD officer J. Fisher, a 10-year veteran (Midwest Patrol Div.) Responding to a call from Montgomery’s wife, who said he was threatening their baby and a woman inside their locked apartment, officers forced entry into the apartment. They found Montgomery holding the baby and a butcher knife. Fisher shot Montgomery as he tried to lock himself and the baby in the bathroom. Montgomery is the 2nd person known to have been shot to death this year by a Harris County police officer. (media reports)
5. 2/3/13 – Carlist Ray Brinkley, Jr.
b/m, 33, wounded when shot in the leg by Houston PD officer J. Hicok. When a business owner saw someone trying to steal his van he called police. HPD officers E. Campuzano and L. Castillo were the first to arrive and saw Brinkley crashing the van several times while trying to escape. But when Hicok arrived, he claimed he thought Brinkley had a weapon, so he shot him. Brinkley was not armed. (media reports)
4. 1/25/13 – Isidoro Resendez, killed when shot by off-duty Harris County Sheriff’s deputy B. Reyes. Resendez and another man were fighting outside a club, and Resendez began stabbing the other man. Reyes ordered him to stop, but he did not, so Reyes shot him. Resendez is the 1st person known to have been shot to death this year by a Harris County police officer. (media reports)
3. 1/12/13 – Jamal Criss, wounded when shot by off-duty Houston PD officer S. Gromyko, a 4-yr vet from Northwest Patrol. Three men were robbing the store where Gromyko was working security, and Gromyko claims one of them pointed a gun at him, so he shot him. All 3 men fled, and it was not clear at the time that Criss had been hit. (media reports)
2. 1/12/13 – Grandon Xavier Murray, b/m, 23, wounded when shot by off-duty Houston PD officer S. Hope, who said that Murray approached him, acting suspiciously. When Hope told him he was a police officer, he claims Murray showed him a “weapon.” Hope then asks for help from two on-duty officers, who begin giving commands to Murray. Hope claims that Murray reached for his waistband so he shot him. (media reports)
Comment: This is another shooting where police officers’ aggressive commands escalate the incident. First, a pistol was allegedly found in Murray’s pocket. If so, then Hope should have seen him put it there after it was first shown to him. So why would he shoot Murray for “reaching” for his waistband, knowing that the pistol was in his pocket. And of the three officers, apparently only one, Hope, felt threatened.
1. 1/4/13 – William Akin, wounded when shot by Pct. 7 deputy constable M. Hartley, a 26-year veteran. Police had stopped Akin for a traffic violation, but he sped off before the officer approached. A chase ensued, and when Hartley heard he was approaching his area, he stood in the road with gun pointed at Akin’s car. Akin did not stop, and Hartley fired several shots into the car, hitting Akin in the leg. (media reports)